What are Some Common Sleep Disorders?
More than 100 different disorders of sleeping and waking have been identified, and over 100 million people each year have their quality of life affected by sleep disorders. Sleep disorders can be grouped in four main categories:
- Problems with falling and staying asleep (insomnia)
- Problems with staying awake (excessive daytime sleepiness)
- Problems with sticking to a regular sleep schedule (sleep rhythm problem)
- Unusual behaviors during sleep (sleep-disruptive behaviors)
Some of the most common sleep problems that we see in our clinics are listed below.
Can Sleep Disorders be Prevented?
As with most medical conditions, general levels of health and wellness can decrease the risk of developing a sleep disorder. Some specific tips related to sleep disorders include:
- Practicing regular sleep habits (such as going to bed and waking at the same time every day)
- A comfortable and quiet sleep environment
- Regular exercise
- Staying generally fit and healthy
For more questions, you can contact us any time at (309) 779-2914 in the Quad-Cities, or at (563) 264-9197 in Muscatine.